Erica Eckman is a well-known foodie and founder of the brand Everything Erica. She and her husband went on Birthright Israel in Winter 2018-2019 and have found a new love for their…
Passover Recipe: Barbara’s Matzo Ball Soup by Rachel BelleApril 9, 2019 at 3:52 am
Rachel Belle is a Birthright Israel
Looking back on her Birthright Israel trip
“I grew up in a Bay Area suburb without a single Jewish friend. So, when I heard about Birthright Israel, I immediately signed up. It was a whirlwind of experience. We had conversations about what Israel meant to us, how proud we were of our Judaism. To this day, I remember my Birthright Israel trip often.”
Barbara’s Matzo Ball Soup
- 3 quarts chicken stock
- 2-3 Telma chicken consommé bouillon (optional)
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 small or one large parsnip
- 1.5 lbs organic chicken legs
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 package matzo ball mix
- Place stock in large soup pot and cook chicken legs and onion. After the soup comes to a boil, turn down and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining vegetables and dill, stems and all. When the chicken is cooked through, remove from the pot and let rest until cool.
- Pull chicken meat off the bones, shred and place back in stock. Return to low simmer and cook until vegetables are tender, skimming any foam off as it cooks.
- While the soup simmers, follow package instructions to make your matzo balls. For best results, boil them in the soup.
- When the matzo balls are fluffy and float to the surface, they’re done.
- Salt soup to taste.
- Serve with the mandel at the table.